- Polar bear cub Kallik and her brother, Taqqiq, live in a cozy den nestled into the side of a snowy hill. Their mother, Nisa, tells them endless stories of the outside world and Kallik and Taqqiq can't wait to explore everything. Nisa says they're too little to leave the den, but that won't stop them from sneaking out and having all sorts of thrilling adventures on their own.
Detailed Plot Summary
- Three moons later, Taqqiq and Kallik are playing in their snow den. Nisa tells them that Kallik's name means lightning and Taqqiq means moon.
- Later, Nisa is hungry and goes off to hunt, but tells her cubs to stay in the den. Kallik accidentally opens the den and they wander off. They meet a walrus, though think it's another bear and call him Muddy. They make several outings while their mother is hunting to play with Muddy, and Kallik says he is their best friend.
- One day, Kallik and Taqqiq go to their meeting place and see a full-grown walrus. Not understanding the danger, Kallik asks if she's Muddy's mother and asks if Muddy can come out and play. The walrus attacks and Kallik and Taqqiq go back to their den and cover themselves. The walrus digs and the cubs are scared they will be buried alive. Nisa arrives and chases away the walrus. She asks how the walrus could have gotten them, and tells them she'll never leave them alone again. Kallik then realizes Muddy is a walrus.
- Nisa tries to teach them how to catch a seal, but Taqqiq pushes Kallik and she falls under the ice, scaring away the seals. Nisa saves her, and Taqqiq acts mad at Kallik. Kallik gets up early and scents something blubbery. She calls Nisa and Taqqiq. Nisa goes hunting. The cubs go to watch, but they realize she's stalking Muddy and scare Muddy away and stop Nisa, explaining Muddy was their best friend.
- Nisa asks how they could be friends, and the twins explain how they fell out of the den and played with Muddy. Nisa tells them to be more careful, and the family sets off together, with Kallik thinking that she'll never forget Muddy.
- Unnamed female walrus
- In some places, the speech bubbles are directed at the wrong speaker - i.e. Kallik was meant to say 'Taqqiq' but the speech bubble was coming from Taqqiq himself.
|The Original Series||The Quest Begins • Great Bear Lake • Smoke Mountain • The Last Wilderness • Fire in the Sky • Spirits in the Stars|
|Return to the Wild||Island of Shadows • The Melting Sea • River of Lost Bears • Forest of Wolves • The Burning Horizon • The Longest Day|
|Mangas||Toklo's Story • Kallik's Adventure • Lusa's Tale|