The arc continues the adventures of four North American bears: Lusa the black bear, Toklo the grizzly bear, and Kallik and Yakone, the two polar bears. They must make a long and difficult journey from Star Island, to the Melting Sea, the Forest of Wolves, and Great Bear Lake in order to find homes for each and every one of them.
They must struggle with difficult choices, as none of the four bears are ready to leave the group of friends, almost family, that they have known for so long.
This series consists of 6 books.
Island of Shadows
- The journey home begins....
- Toklo, Kallik, and Lusa survived the perilous mission that brought them together, and now it’s time for them to find their way home. Kallik and Lusa are ready to be among their own kinds again, but Toklo, devastated by the loss of their companion Ujurak, feels hopeless and afraid of what’s to come.
- When the group reaches a shadowy island covered in mountains and ice, Kallik is sure they’re almost back to the Frozen Sea. But a terrifying accident leads them into a maze of abandoned tunnels, unlike anything they’ve ever seen before—making them question their path once again.
- The bears grow desperate for a sign to guide them, and when they meet a cub who has lost his whole family, Toklo believes the cub has been sent by Ujurak. But the others are unsure. Can they trust their new companion? Or could he be hiding something that will endanger them all?
The Melting Sea
- Kallik has almost reached home. The bears who have become her family—Lusa, Yakone and Toklo—are devastated that they’ll have to split up, but polar bears Kallik and Yakone belong on the ice, while the black and brown bears belong in the forest.
- At least Kallik will be reunited with her brother, Taqqiq. But when she and the others arrive at the Melting Sea, she is horrified to find the white bears almost starving due to an unnaturally early thaw. Worse, Taqqiq has rejoined a group of bullies who are terrorizing the other bears for food.
- Kallik, Toklo, Lusa, and Yakone head away from the ice toward warmer territories.
- As they approach the mountains, Toklo is faced with an impossible choice. Though he is desperate to leave the struggles of their quest and to find his place in the world of brown bears, is he ready to leave his friends behind?
- After a harrowing journey, the four bears finally arrive at Toklo's former home. Toklo is thrilled to be in the mountains, surrounded by warm memories of his cubhood, but his homecoming has come at a price. Yakone is dangerously ill and may not survive.
- Meanwhile, Lusa is unsure of what her future holds. Is she ready to find her own way if it means leaving her friends—the only family she has left?
- Toklo, Kallik, Lusa, and Yakone are determined to reach Great Bear Lake in time for the Longest Day Gathering.
- Even Toklo, who has already claimed a new territory in the mountains, has promised to stay with them until Lusa has found a home of her own.
- But when Lusa is unexpectedly separated from the others, she must face her past—and make a decision about her future.
The Longest Day
- Lusa, Toklo, Kallik, and Yakone have returned to Great Bear Lake for the Longest Day Gathering. This means being reunited with the familiar faces of bears they have encountered throughout their travels—but it also means returning to life among their own kind, which may not be as easy as they thought.
- Nanulak's Father
- Unnamed old she-bear
- Unnamed she-bear
- Unnamed male bear
- Unnamed old male bear
- Unnamed grolar bear family