|"Not if we do what we always do, and fight to survive. Life is hard. It always has been."|
|— Toklo to Lusa in Great Bear Lake, page 27|
Toklo (toh-klo) is a large, dark, muscular, russet- brown male grizzly bear with powerful, broad shoulders, thick fur, sharp teeth, massive, powerful paws, long, razor-sharp claws, brown eyes, a shaggy coat, tufty ears, and a shaggy, broad head.
- 1 History
- 1.1 In the Seekers Manga
- 1.2 In The Original Series arc
- 1.3 In the Return to the Wild arc
- 2 Trivia
- 3 Quotes
- 4 Family Tree
- 5 Gallery
- 6 References
In the Seekers Manga
- Toklo was traveling with his brother, Tobi, and his mother, Oka, in a forest they were in before the events of The Quest Begins. He decided to look for food secretly while his mother rested her injured foot, only to have Tobi follow him. They then found a dead carcass of a moose and wanted to bring it to Oka, not knowing that it belonged to their father. They were found soon after and got chased to a den that belongs to their father. Toklo says that they were going off his territory, and their father let them off but not without warning them to leave his territory the next morning. Toklo and his family were later thrown out of the forest by Oka's former mate.
In The Original Series arc
- Toklo was traveling with his mother, Oka, and his sickly brother, Tobi, along the border of Alberta and British Columbia, Canada. He was almost run over by a firebeast while pretending that a log in the road was a rabbit, and pretended to hunt it. He was interested in becoming a strong bear and learned from his mother quickly. However, when Tobi died, Oka was blinded by grief and abandons him when they reach the Great Salmon River.
- Toklo was then left to fend for himself and soon came upon another young grizzly cub named Ujurak. Shortly he agreed to let Ujurak travel with him. When Toklo learns of Ujurak's shape-shifting abilities, he is amazed and doesn't know what to think. While by a river, Ujurak becomes a salmon, and Toklo is forced to lie to the grizzlies hunting there that the water is poisoned to save Ujurak.
- They came upon another young bear named Lusa. She was a small black bear cub and said that she had seen Toklo's mother, Oka and that she told her to find him to tell him she was sorry for abandoning him. Toklo didn't want anything to do with her, though. However, Ujurak persuaded Toklo to let Lusa come with them on their journey.
- Lusa told Toklo about how Oka was sorry about what she did, and that Oka loved Toklo, but he dismissed it, still angry that she had left him. When Lusa and Ujurak talk about signs, Toklo thinks they are crazy, yet goes along with it and listens to Ujurak.
- The signs lead to Great Bear Lake, where thousands of bears were meeting for the Longest Day. Toklo and Ujurak get separated from Lusa when other brown bears tell her she doesn't belong there.
- To convince the spirits to bring back the salmon, a bear needed to swim to Paw Print Island. Shoteka, a bear who hated Oka and Toklo for Oka rejecting him says Toklo should swim to the island, hoping Toklo would drown in the process.
- While swimming there, the spirits of his mother and brother visited him. Toklo thought they were trying to drown him but soon realizes they still love him and they help him to the island.
- Shoteka comes to kill Toklo for revenge, and the bears fight. Oka tells him what to do and he soon wins.
- Toklo and Lusa seemed to be closer to each other. The bears, including Taqqiq, heard of a place called Smoke Mountain, from an old bear named Qopuk. He soon died, and the bears decided to go to Smoke Mountain. Taqqiq left the group soon afterward.
- When Lusa was hit by a firebeast and fell into a state of depression, Toklo helped her to travel by carrying her on his back. Later he confronted her and convinced her not to run away. The bears encountered flat-faces, who captured and trapped Toklo. He almost drowned because the firebeast fell into a river, and began to sink. The other bears rescued him and arrived at the Last Great Wilderness.
- Toklo was cornered by a young flat-face cub when he was deciding to hunt a caribou. After some time, Toklo chose to leave the group forever and live on his own, which made Lusa very sad. But, he struggles to live on his own in the mountains, where he hears that prey is scarce, and the flat-faces are building dens near and destroying the trees.
- When Toklo was going toward the flatlands, he discovers that there are lots of metal buildings and metal birds. There, he rescues Lusa and Kallik from getting crushed by the metal bird. Toklo finds out that Ujurak was missing and he joins with Lusa and Kallik to help find him.
- Toklo and the group were guided by Kallik, to and through the ice. He is angry and tense as Kallik takes the lead instead of him, proving herself more effective than he is on the ice.
- On one night Toklo had a dream from the lone bear. In the dream, the lone bear warned him that one of the four was going to die. Toklo thought it was Lusa, so he told Ujurak and Kallik in private about his theory. Then Lusa and he headed back to land. Before they made it, Lusa was captured by flat-faces. Toklo is found by Kallik and Ujurak, and the three devised a plan to free Lusa. They did so and went back to following the rising sun across the ice.
- Toklo and the rest of the group arrive at Star Island.
- There, the Seeker bears meet a polar she-bear who has a young cub. Kallik comes back to the makeshift den of the Seeker bears that night and reveals that she had taken the cub once she realized that his mother had died. Toklo is annoyed at this and believes Kissimi, the young cub, will slow them down.
- The bears soon find out that sickness has been spreading across Star Island and Ujurak believes that they should help the bears.
- Toklo fights with Unalaq, a polar bear from Star Island. When Ujurak died saving him, Kallik and Lusa, Toklo was very upset. At the end of the book, Kallik gave Kissimi to the Star Island bears as she realized she couldn't look after him. Toklo agreed with her choice, and let Unalaq's brother, Yakone travel with them, as he could help them hunt. Afterward, Ujurak came to Lusa in her dream and comforted her.
In the Return to the Wild arc
- Toklo is grief-stricken after the death of his best friend, Ujurak, and believes the journey no longer has any meaning. The trek home seems long and empty without one of his companions. Toklo is constantly annoyed with Yakone and wants to be the leader of the group, which he thinks Yakone will get in the way of.
- Later in the story, Toklo falls down a hole made by flat-faces and is eventually rescued, though he is sadder than ever, and believes he should have died.
- When the bears meet Nanulak, a young Grolar Bear, Toklo treats him better than any of the other bears and tells him stories of his home, where the bears are heading. Nanulak and Toklo agree to share their territory, and Toklo becomes happy again. The other bears don't trust Nanulak, but Toklo believes they are just jealous. When Ujurak warns Toklo that Nanulak might not be what he seems, Toklo accuses him of just being jealous.
- On the way, Toklo meets Tikaani, a female polar bear who is about his age. She teaches him how to hunt lemmings in the snow, and together they catch prey.
- He meets her again the next day and they throw snow at each other and play before going hunting. Tikaani teaches him how to hunt birds, and gives him a goose she catches. She asks him to stay with her and Toklo wants to until Ujurak reminds him of going home, which he believes he must do to end the journey. Toklo sadly tells her he has to leave, and Tikaani tells him polar bears and grizzly bears have cubs sometimes, hinting she likes him. They touch muzzles before they leave, and Toklo is sad to leave Tikaani, knowing he would probably never see her again.
- Soon after, Nanulak points out a polar bear who he says fought him and hurt him. Toklo is angry and goes to fight the bear. The two bears fight, though the polar bear does not want to until Toklo calls him a coward. Toklo wins, and when Nanulak tells him to kill the other bear, Toklo refuses. The polar bear says that Nanulak is his son and Toklo is outraged that Nanulak almost made him kill his father.
- Toklo invites Nanulak to come with them, to the other bears' horror, but Nanulak refuses, saying Toklo was a traitor. Toklo says it's his own choice and the bears leave.
- Toklo and the others are searching for The Melting Sea. They stumble upon a herd of Caribou and hunt.
- Later they meet a she-bear named Akna, and her cubs, Iluq and Kassuq. They stay there for a while with her and her cubs, and Toklo and the others wait while Akna and Kallik go hunting. When they come back, they continue on their journey.
- They find the building Kallik was captured in, and then a firebeast runs into it and catches on fire. Toklo and the others go in to rescue bears. Ujurak, in the shape of a Flat-face, rescues two bears, while Toklo and the others are rescuing a young bear named Shila.
- When Shila wakes up and they are away from the flat-faces, she tells them how she was chased away by Taqqiq and his friends. She also says she needs to get back to her mother, Sakari, and her brothers, Tonraq and Pakak. Shila takes them to their den but all they find is fur and blood. Salik and his gang catch up to him, and Toklo watches as Kallik attacks Taqqiq. Toklo and the others leave Salik and his gang, but Taqqiq stays behind and shows them where Shila's family is.
- When Toklo and the other bears find Shila's family, they find more polar bears to train to get rid of Salik and his gang. Toklo teaches them brown bear attacking methods. Then, Taqqiq leads Salik and his gang back, and they are ambushed.
- Taqqiq decides to stay with Shila, and Kallik and Yakone decide to stay with Toklo and Lusa until they find homes.
- Toklo and the group finally get to land. Toklo and Lusa go into the forest and are overjoyed. Toklo says they are near his birthplace. Lusa says they could live right where they are, but Toklo says it's not the right place for him.
- They hear a growl and Toklo realizes they are in another bear's territory. They find out the bear is a black bear named Hakan.
- Toklo apologizes for being in his territory and leaves. Toklo is off hunting when he hears a she-bear crying out for help. He sees Hakan and finds out the she-bear is his sister, Chenoa. Toklo fights with Hakan. Toklo tells Chenoa about Tobi and Oka.
- Later at night while the bears are sleeping, Toklo and the others find out that they are surrounded by wolverines. Toklo, Yakone, and Kallik fight off the wolverines but find out that Lusa isn't there and they call for her.
- Chenoa and Toklo go into the mountains when they come across Hakan. Hakan threatens Chenoa and attacks her for being with Toklo and his friends then leaves. Hakan forces Chenoa to stay with him. Lusa begs Toklo to let her stay but he tells her to stay and leaves.
- Later, Lusa has a dream from Ujurak showing the time when Tobi had died and Oka was burying him. She then tells Toklo to go and ask Chenoa to travel with them. Toklo goes to find her but is attacked by Hakan who tries to drown him. Chenoa stops him and decides that she wants to go with Toklo.
- They find another river and stay there until Lusa is healed. Kallik, Toklo, and Yakone are hunting. Toklo goes and joins Lusa and Chenoa who are riding water currents. When Lusa goes into a stronger current, she is almost hit by a flat-face raft, and Toklo has to go and save her. After he saves Lusa, he decides that they should get moving.
- After a while, the bears come across a waterfall and Toklo thinks that they have to go all the way back to get around it. But then they decide to climb it. When they're at the top, Lusa slips trying to get on a rock and Chenoa helps her but the strong current pushes her over the edge of the waterfall. Toklo and the others climb back down and find her dead and they bury her next to a tree. Toklo feels guilty that he led Chenoa to her death. Lusa runs off into the forest. In the morning, Lusa runs back to the others where they are huddled together watching the tree line. Lusa tells them that she saw Chenoa's spirit tree and that they need to save her. But Toklo and the others don't do anything.
- Toklo and the other bears come across a river and they see a net full of trees, including Chenoa's. Ujurak appears as a moose and they break the chain that held the trees and the bear spirits are set free.
- Yakone is caught in a flat-face trap and loses two toes. They find a pack of coyotes following them waiting for him to die. Toklo and the others set up a trap and they kill two coyotes. They continue on where Toklo recognizes the silver path and leads them where they can jump on the firesnake. They all jump onto the fire snake when a coyote attacks Toklo and bites his throat. Yakone saves him. They sit on the firesnake on the way to Toklo's birthplace.
- Toklo and the others arrive at Toklo's home after riding the firesnake for a couple of days. Yakone is still seriously injured, his wound from the trap having become infected. He becomes too weak to walk for himself. Toklo rushes to continue home, pushing the others to the point of exhaustion. Toklo expresses frustration with both Lusa and Kalik, but eventually relents because of his concern for Yakone.
- Toklo and the others struggle to find a balance between allowing Yakone to rest and continuing forward in their journey. Yakone grows progressively sicker, sinking into a period of delusion and feverish fantasy. Lusa eventually decides to go to the flat-face denning site to get something to help heal Yakone. She lies to Toklo about where she's going, and he reluctantly allows her to leave.
- Toklo and Kalik fight when Lusa leaves, both torn between wanting to find Lusa and care for Yakone. Lusa returns safely, and with flat-face medicine with eventually cures Yakone.
- When Yakone is healing, Toklo meets a young brown bear named Aiyanna . Their first exchanges are hostile, and she accuses him of stealing prey. Toklo eventually reveals that he was born here in the mountains, and Aiyanna loses some of her hostility.
- Kalik and Yakone decide to leave Toklo and Lusa behind and head for the snowy mountain peaks to live until they can return to the Melting Sea. Lusa expresses sadness for them leaving, but Toklo refuses to show any emotion, acting angry instead to mask his hurt.
- Toklo and Lusa meet other bears in the forest and hear stories about the wolf pack that is tormenting the brown bears. Toklo is enraged that his kind must live in fear of the wolves and eventually works with Lusa to plan a way to trap and then chase the wolves away. They also work together with Aiyanna to defend Old Grizzly (known also as Chogan ) and save his life. Later, Toklo recognizes Chogan's scent and realizes that it was Chogan who drove Oka, Tobi, and Toklo away from his territory. He goes to confront Chogan and wins the fight, but Chogan reveals that he is Toklo's father. Toklo is shocked and disgusted, realizing that he wants to be nothing like his father.
- Toklo and Lusa recruit other bears in the forest, and Toklo manages to get Aiyanna to help him. They successfully chase the wolves away and back up to their home ridge.
- After the wolves have been driven off, Toklo goes to confront Chogan again. He'd decided to join Lusa, Kalik, and Yakone to journey to Great Bear Lake, and defeats Chogan once again. He promises his father that he'll be back to take his territory once he's travelled with his friends to find their homes.
- Aiyanna tells him that she wants to show him something on her territory. Toklo follows hesitantly and she takes him to Tobi's grave. Toklo thanks her and builds Tobi's mound up to be bigger and stronger. Aiyanna tells him that Tobi's grave will always belong to Toklo and he is welcome to come and visit when he wants to. Toklo leaves Tobi's grave, knowing that his brother and his mother travel with him and he will soon return to Aiyanna.
- Coming Soon
- Coming Soon
- Toklo will not fall in love with Lusa.
- This is proven to be true as he becomes Aiyanna's mate
- Toklo's name means "two" in Chickasaw, as he was the second of his litter.
- Toklo may have had a crush on Tikaani.
- Even though bear claws constantly keep contact with the ground, it is said in River of Lost Bears that "He unsheathed his claws to get a better grip", but bears can only keep their claws out.
- "In case you hadn't noticed, we're in danger, bee-brain."
- —Toklo yelling at Ujurak The Last Wilderness, page 234
- "He blamed himself for Tobi's death. It had to be his fault, otherwise, Oka's anger made no sense. But that was just the start. Toklo has lost so many bears since. With each loss, he's blamed himself more. He feels responsible for everyone."
- —Ujurak to Lusa about Toklo River of Lost Bears, page 96
- "You feel responsible for Tobi's death, don't you? When Oka drove you away, you thought it was because you'd let him die. That's not true. It's wasn't your fault he died. It wasn't your fault Ujurak left. And the wolverines attacked me because I ran away, not because you didn't stop them. You're not responsible for us, Toklo. You may be bigger and stronger than me. You may be more used to the forest than Kallik or Yakone. But it doesn't mean you have to protect us from everything. We've traveled as far as you, Kallik, and I. We've seen the same things and survived the same dangers. Our fate is our own. Our lives are not in your paws."
- —Lusa to Toklo River of Lost Bears, page 99
- "Never! I have a different family now. I don't need you, and I never did. I'm strong because of who I am, not because of you!"
- —Toklo, showing his frustrations towards Chogan Forest of Wolves, page 182
- "I came such a long way to find this. Instead, I found the bear who was responsible for destroying my family. My own father."
- —Toklo, telling Chogan off Forest of Wolves, page 183
= Gender Unknown
- Revealed in Great Bear Lake, page 143
- Cite Needed
- Cite Needed
- Revealed in Smoke Mountain, page 11
- Revealed in The Quest Begins, page 32
- Revealed in Spirits in the Stars, page 55
- Revealed in Fire in the Sky, page 51
- Revealed in River of Lost Bears, page 119
- Revealed in The Quest Begins, page 33
- Revealed in Smoke Mountain, page 89
- Revealed in The Quest Begins, page 38
- Revealed in Great Bear Lake, page 147
- Revealed in The Last Wilderness, page 2
- Revealed in Smoke Mountain, page 3
- Revealed in River of Lost Bears, page 2
- Revealed at Warriorcats.com
- Revealed at Wikipedia
- Revealed at Warriorcats.com
- Revealed in Island of Shadows, page 185
- Revealed in River of Lost Bears, page 12
- Revealed at Yahoo Answers